Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Writing 2 Class Notes -- May 8

Greetings!

We're done!  This has been a great group of students and I feel privileged to have had the opportunity to teach them.

Even on the last day, we had a Quick Write.  I asked the students to be a bit reflective about their involvement in the class this year.  They answered these two questions: 1)List 3 things you've learned in Writing 1 this year; and 2)Tell how you've improved in Writing 1 this year.  I had each student share something.  In addition to some funny comments, I heard statements about essay writing, literary analysis, and grammar points.  I feel confident that we've all learned some important "stuff" this year.

For the next part of our class, each student took a turn sharing some poetry they had chosen.  They don't love poetry, but I think they're developing a greater appreciation for those metered lines that rhyme and have deeper meanings.  Some enjoy it enough to try their hands at writing raps for their poor teacher to do.  

The last section of the class was an unusual, and a bit unconventional, "final exam."  We played a Bingo game in which I gave clues; the answers on their cards were from our literature and writing discussions.  The Bingo prizes were books that I had gotten from the "Great Northfield Book Raid."  ($4.00/ bag)  

Check out the Bingo Card Creator website and the Wordle website.  I used both of these sites for these week's class.

I have almost have all of the grades compiled.  A few students have handed in more assignments that need to be figured into their totals.  I'll have grades out to you next week.  

Have a great summer!  I hope to see many of these great students again next year!
Tammy Prichard

No comments:

Post a Comment