Thursday, May 3, 2012

Writing 2 Class Notes -- May 1

Greetings!

We're so near the end of our CHAT classes that I almost forgot to write my weekly note to parents. 

As always, we started the class with a Quick Write.  Since Tuesday was May Day, I had the students write words that rhyme with "May" and then to use those words to write a poem.  Again, the students were creative.  As a class, they wrote a rap for me to do.  I did the rap, but not very well.  What do you expect from a teacher?

I collected the Re-Writes and any outstanding assignments.  I also handed back old assignments and their Argument Essays.  We discussed, again, some writing issues that came up in their essays.

Last month was National Poetry Month, and we continued our discussion about the poetry selections.  We started our discussion with a favorite of mine, "The Red Wheelbarrow" by William Carlos Williams.  This is an imagist poem that some students liked, and some didn't "get."  I like it in part because of the visual image and how the phrase, "so much depend upon....."  seems to hit me.  We also discussed by son's poem which was selected from a number of entries to be part of the Sidewalk Poetry Project of Northfield.  Below are both poems. 

Next week is our last week.  I've asked the students to do some brief reviewing of the short stories, and the poetry.  I'll have a cooperate "final exam" for next week.  I also want the students to come prepared to recite a poem as part of our final.  They can choose a poem from our book or from another source.  They could also write one of their own, but it needs to be at least 8 lines long.



"The Red Wheelbarrow" by William Carlos Williams

so much depends
upon
a red wheel
barrow
glazed with rain
water
beside the white
chickens.

"Untitled"
I long for the thunder to wake me
For the lightning to shock, to shake me
For my thoughts to rule the night
For the weather's heartless bite.

Looking forward to next week.  I have some surprises for the class.
Mrs. Prichard

No comments:

Post a Comment