Saturday, May 12, 2012

Comments about Grades

Dear Parents and Students,

I've just finished calculating the grades for the second semester.  Please remember that I am a ‘tutor,” and  these are suggested grades for you as homeschooling families to consider.

Some students handed in assignments on the last day of class.  If those change the score and grade, I will send adjusted grades next week.  (I’m currently on vacation in Florida!)

Before I send them, let me again share my thoughts on grades.  As I homeschooled, I didn't give my children grades.  I felt that grades were far too subjective.  I taught my own children for mastery and diligence.  We didn't proceed with a topic until they were ready no matter how long that took. 

Letter grades are a funny thing.  For some students, it becomes the only motivation for doing well.  For some, it becomes a measure of their worth as a person or as an academic learner.  I personally don't like these "side effects" of the grading system.  On the other hand, grades can be a valid reward for working hard, being diligent, and understanding the materials.  Incentives and consequences are a part of life; God uses them, too.

When teaching students to be good writers, I give a lot of consideration for growth and improvement. Each student has a starting place; over time I look for him or her to learn the mechanics of grammar, good writing techniques, and analytical thinking skills.

For this class, I gave points for attendance, participation, short assignments and longer papers.   I tend to be an "easy grader" and like to see my students encouraged to do their best.  Becoming a good writer is hard work, and too often students are discouraged before they’ve given themselves a chance to succeed.

Each student (and parents) will get an e-mail with percentages and suggested grades for this semester. 

Blessings,
Tammy Prichard

No comments:

Post a Comment