Sunday, February 15, 2015

Writing 2 Class Notes -- Week 5 (February 12)

Greetings!

I had another great week with all of my CHAT classes.  I'm so blessed by their hard work and vibrant personalities.

Because we were approaching Valentine's Day, the Quick Write assignment was to write a love letter to something writing or grammar related.  Some of them are willing for me to put them on the blog.  Until I get those entered, here are some from a previous year:  Literary Love Letters.

Our Words of the Day, are the following Latin roots:
bene -- L. good, well -- English derivatives:  benefit, benefactor, beneficial, benediction
brevi -- L. brief, shirt -- English derivatives:  brevity, brief, abbreviate, abbreviation

Following our beginning of class activities, we discussed the homework that was handed back.  I covered some of the common mistakes found in the comma worksheets.  We reviewed compound sentences, complex sentences (including subordinating conjunctions & dependent clauses), and series commas.  Our next unit is working with appositives and parenthetical phrases.  As I told the students as began our adventures into commas, you must learn a lot of other grammar details in order to understand some of the comma rules.

Another piece of homework that was handed back were the Final Exams for the Sherlock Holmes unit.  This take home exam focused on why or why not Holmes could be considered a hero.  As part of our discussion, we talked about the differences between objective and subjective points of view.  As I told the students, I read through their essays looking for specific, unique points that addressed the definition of a hero, Holmes's qualifications, and examples from the stories.  I had a base score of 50 points for this. All of the students scored much higher than this minimum requirement.  

Students handed in their final drafts of their Mystery Stories.  As I've said in earlier e-mails, these were amazing stories, and I've started putting them on the blog.  I'll send out links to these as I get more entered on the blog.  I will also put them together as a booklet.  

In my writing classes, I have a quick turnaround with essays.  As soon as one round is done, the next essay is assigned.  For the next essay, the students can choose between a Cause/Effect Essay or a Problem/Solution Essay.  These guidelines for these essays are pretty straightforward.  The Pre-Write should be done for next week.

We talked briefly about our three Short Stories from our new book These were all written by Russian authors.  The next group of essays are written by British writers.  Students were given a worksheet to use for one of the stories.


Assignments for Next Week:
-- Read the following stories by these authors:
     -- Dickens (p. 45)
     -- Wilde (p. 189)
     -- Kipling (p, 101)
     -- Munro (p. 140)
-- Appositives/Parenthetical Phrases Worksheet
-- Cause/Effect or Problem/Solution Pre-Writes


This Week's Links:
Class Notes




Have a great week!
Mrs. Prichard

No comments:

Post a Comment