Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Literary Love Letters



Each year, just before Valentine's Day, I assign Quick Writes in which the students write "love letters" for something writing or literature related.  Below are some samples for our last Quick Writes:






Dear Apostrophe,
You are so beautiful the way you show ownership.  The way you fit between the owner and the "s" is amazing.  You can make nouns into adjectives, and you make my heart to mushy stuff.
Love,
A Student

Dear Lovely Series Comma,
You have caused much strife and have sparked many arguments with your controversial relationship.  And is very attached to you and luckily you two are often forced together.  However, I, the Delete Button, want you more than And could ever.  I long to be with you in the world of non-existence.  You and I could run through the fields of digital codes and never end up before the AND again.
Love,
The Delete Button



Dearest Pencil,

I love you, pencil.  You allow me to write my thoughts on my other dear friend, paper.  I am forever grateful that I have you pencil.  And no, I am not cheating on you with pen or Sharpie.


Image result for heartsSincerely yours,
A Student
P.S.  We are over.  I am breaking with you. I bet you did not see that coming ....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



Dear Microsoft Word,
 I cannot live without you.  All your different fonts and colors are too beautiful to comprehend.  I do not know which font of yours I love most.  Your background and layouts amaze me.
Forever yours,
The key board



Oh my pencil!  How my heart was crushed by sorrow
when you passed from me to another owner.

However, my intentions are not to grieve over you,
but to plead that you might come back to me, the joy of my life.

You are everything that I love.  The radiance of my heart.
You fitteth in my hand so well as if our hearts were infinitely bound to one another.

A peaceful meadowlark singing is the calmness you cover my heart with. 
A perfect sunset over the deep, blue ocean is the beauty of your heart. 
The thrill of diving into calm water on a burning morning is the relaxation you give me.

My deepest joys are ignited when the familiar feel of
your perfect pencilness rests in the nook of my  hand. 
Oh, my pencil, how I love you and yearn for you.



Image result for hearts border


A Poem
Writing papers
It is not for me anymore
I am sorry

Dear Ticonderoga,
I'm sorry that our lovely relationship had to end so soon.  Mechanical is just so much nicer though, and while you are away at the Sharpener, Mechanical just requires the push on a button.  Shame on you for seeing the Sharpener.
Love,
A Student

Image result for hearts border


Another Poem

Shall I compare they to a midsummer's day.
No, because then I've be playing out side
I am forced to stay inside, not play
Dear School, I'm afraid we are done
A few months and then you are gone
Don't cry, I'll see you next year
In fact you don't even deserve this song
But because Mrs. Prichard says this letter is for love,
Dear School, you must come from above.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Dear Backspace,
I don't know what I would do without you.  You have changed the world of writing for me.  I no longer need to worry about spelling or grammatical errors because you make it easy to fix.  I still remember the first time I was allowed to use that button of yours.  You allow me moments of joy such as holding down letters and being able to get rid of them without the embarrassment of having to send that to someone.

Love,
Your writer and user.






Dear Pencil,
I write this letter with sadness but confidence,.  I'm afraid your love has been fading for some time now, but I've been afraid to let go.  I smile at the memories of our first day, when we worked together to write my name on that kindergarten note book.  There was a spark that day, but the spark is gone.  My eyes have been wandering to more elegant, efficient, and stylish utensils.  I now this hurts, but I'm actually writing this letter with my current love, a beautiful blue pen.  Her ink glides across the page with far less effort than your graphite ever did.  I'm sorry, but you're old news.  Goodbye, Pencil.
With loving memories,
A Student



Dear Comma,
You have saved many a life for when I say, "Let's eat, Grandpa," without you, we would all be forced to eat our beloved elder.  For this, I thank you on behalf of all Grandfathers everywhere.
Love,
A Student



Image result for heartsDear Period,
Without you, I feel as though I have no end.  As if I was incomplete.  I know you were worried about the comma coming in between our relationship, but I tell you it is not.  You are my Omega, and I am your Alpha.
Yours truly,
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~




Dear Laptop,
Thank you for always being there for me when I need to write an essay or mystery story.  You make my life better.
Love,
A Student



Dear Books,
We need to talk.  I hate you.  I hate the way you steal my time.  You give me dark circles under my eyes in the morning.  I waste my money on you, and my peace of mind.  You make me cry; you make me weep.  My friends  hate you.  You're the only think I talk about.  but what I hate about you most is the way I don't hate.  I love you, and I hate that I love you.  Dear books, we need to talk.
Yours truly,
A Student


Dearly beloved #2 Pencil,
You are my favorite point of the day.  I love the way you've helped me erase my mistakes.  You've led me to heights I never thought were possible.
Love,
A Student


Image result for hearts border


To my beloved Pencil,
You have always stuck with me.  Even when you break, you come back to me.  For years you've led my thoughts to my paper.  I'm forever grateful.  Your time is fading away because the stylus family is taking your place.  I want you to know that I will never forget you. 
With love,
The hand that controls you

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Dear Eraser,
You are my savior.  You help me to erase my mistakes.  You are so forgiving.  If I mess up, you are there for me.  You never keep a grudge.  No matter how many times I mess up, you are always right there to help me.  I do not know what I would do without you.  If I did not have you, my writing papers would be a mess.  Thank you  for always being there for me.  I love you.
Love,
A Student

Dear Laptop,
You are my one true love on Valentine's Day!  When my hand aches and cramps from writing stories, I always have you to turn to.  I share all my deepest thoughts and memories with you, knowing you will keep them all safe on your hard drive.  You are the total package:  dictionary, encyclopedia, spell check and search engines.  My writing couldn't make it in this world without you.  I take you everywhere with me:  the coffee shop, school, the park, and the community college.  Oh Laptop, I need you al the time. If I had a choice, I would be typing this Quick Write on Word.
Love,
A Student.



Dear Grammar,
We have been through a lot together, ups and downs.  Well, mostly downs.  Your strict rules are just too hard for me to follow.  I just can't keep living my life to them.  Every time I talk, you correct me.  I bet you have your little red pen out right now and are scribbling all over this, making it bleed.  We can't keep doing this ......
Good bye!
A Student


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A Haiku Series


Five syllables here
Seven syllables are there
Amazing Haiku.


Do you love Haikus
I love you Haiku, tis true
I'll grow old with you


Together we are
Forever my love, amen
Til death do us part


Haiku died.  I died.
Tragedy is upon us
I loved till the end.



Image result for hearts border



Dear Exclamation Point,
I am sorry.  We are breaking up.  You truly are a great guy, but ... have you seen Apostrophe?  I'm sorry, But I was questioning your ping.
Yours truly,
Comma








Dear Pen,
You are astoundingly beautiful.  Your body flows with such elegance, and the way you put it down is amazing.  Your intricate workings are wonderful, and I can always pick you up where I left you at.  You "click" so well, and are always ready to have fun with me.  I may be picky regarding my choice of pen, but you, my dear, are absolutely perfect -- the Pilot G-2 .07.





Dear Paper,
Without you, the world would be a much less expressive place.  There would be much less kindling for the fire, too, but that is not the point. Also, the introverts of the world would be unable to express their feelings and thus, explode.  So, for all those lonely introverts, I thank you.  Thank you for saving lives.
Yours truly,
A Student.



No comments:

Post a Comment