Thursday, May 2, 2013

Writing 2 Class Notes -- May 1 (Week 14)

Greetings!

We're at on the home stretch for CHAT classes.  Next week is our last week.  Since we haven't had any snow days for our classes, we'll be done on schedule.  This week's Quick Write was:  (the person on your right) wants me to __________ , but (the person on my left) thinks I should ______ .....

Our Latin Phrases were:
Domino, dirige nos -- Lord, direct us (the motto for London)
Domino illuminatio mea -- The Lord is my light
Domino optimo maximo -- The Lord, best and greatest (the motto for Oxford University)
Domino vobiscum -- The Lord be with you

I handed back their final drafts of their News Stories.  Again, they've done a great job on their essays.  They each improve with every set of papers.  I also handed back the Grammar Test which focused on commas, our primary grammar topic for the semester.  They handed in their take home Writing Test which I will grade and give back next week.  

This week the students were to prepare a piece of Poetry to recite for the class.  They could choose one from our book, something written by another poet, or write one themselves. They each did a wonderful job.  I know that poetry is not a favorite of theirs, but they've been troopers.  Someday they'll believe that it's good for them.  

Next week, we'll have a "final exam" in the form of a Bingo Game.  I'd like each one to bring a prize for the game.  It can be a white elephant, candy, or something from the dollar section.  I'll bring plenty of prizes for them next week.

They have one final writing assignment for this class.  I would like them to write a Reflection Paper about their time in this class:  "Describe yourself as a student in my class."  They should include thoughts about their likes/dislikes, strengths/weaknesses, and accomplishments. I'd like them to think about their roles as readers, writers, and class participants. They can comment about what they've learned and what they would have like to have learned.  Finally, I would like them to tell me what grade they think they should get and why.

Assignments for Next Week:
-- Find a Bingo Prize
-- Write a Reflection Paper

This week's blogs:
Class Notes

Rumor is that the Cities are snow-free, while we have almost 7 inches in Northfield.  This weather is simply amazing!!

Have a great week!
Mrs. Prichard

No comments:

Post a Comment