Thursday, December 16, 2021

Writing 2 Class Notes -- Week 15 (December 16)

 Greetings!


We have a wonderful day today.  I try to get most of the hard work of the class done before this last week so that we could have some fun on this final day.  

Quick Write
For our final Quick Write, I had the students do a mini reflection about their semester.  I asked them to write about what worked well, what didn't work, what amazing "thing" they learned, and what they might do differently next semester.  Reflection is a powerful learning tool; when students take time to think about their learning and themselves.

Homework & Grades
Students handed in their final drafts of their Comparison/Contrast Essays.  I will go over the essays and any other homework that was handed in; my goal is to have final grades out soon.  I mentioned to the class that I will take any homework December 19 at 11:59 p.m. If there are any questions, please contact me.  Because I have final drafts from all of the classes, I know that I won't have the essays and homework ready for final grades until after Christmas.  Look for them some time after the New Year.  

A Contest
Following the Quick Write, we had the Annual Writing 1 Ugly Christmas Sweater Contest.  They were pretty intent on their drawing and coloring, which I complemented with a video of a fire with Christmas music.  Oh, and we had the lights turned down.   After they drew and colored, we voted on the best (and it wasn't ugly at all!) picture.  Great work, Carmela!

A "Test"
After the coloring, we had a "test" in the shape of a Jeopardy game.  The categories included questions for My Antonia, Writing, Grammar, Christmas Trivia, and Christmas Movies.  I divided the class into 3 teams, and they took turns answering questions.  There were 20 questions which they answered or tried to answer; when they got the wrong answer, they lost points.  It was a fairly competitive game/test.  (By the way, research also indicates that using gamification to ignite learning increases recall, retention, and cognitive growth.  So while we were having fun, we were still intellectually engaged in our topics.) 

Links for this Week
Writing 2 Class Notes -- Week 15 (December 16)
Reindeer Games (all of the links for today's class)

My prayer is that all of you have a great Christmas that includes lots of love and laughter!
Blessings,
Mrs. Prichard

No comments:

Post a Comment