Friday, December 13, 2019

Greetings!

We began our final class with a short Quick Write to reflect on the class and on the past semester.  Research shows that reflecting on what and how you have learned enhanced meaning and encourages insight and complex understanding.  (Here's a good article on learning through reflection.)  For that reason, I have students take time to think back on the semester.  I asked them to briefly write about what worked well, what didn't work, and what one "thing" they learned (from any class) that they found amazing.  I especially value their comments about the structure of the class because these comments help me make adjustments and improvements.



We celebrated our final class with a Christmas party that included an "Ugly Christmas Sweater Design" contest and a Jeopardy game.  They were pretty intent on their designing and coloring.  The Jeopardy game included the following topics: My Antonia, Grammar, Writing, Christmas Trivia, and Christmas Movies.  By the way, research also indicates that using game-based learning strategies increases recall, retention, and cognitive growth.  So while we were having fun, we were still intellectually engaged in our topics.  In order to form teams, students were given names of songs that they had to hum in order for them to find their teammates.  Watching them walk around the classroom while humming was delightful!



Students handed in their final drafts of their Comparison-Contrast Essays.  I will go over the essays and any other homework that was handed in yesterday; my goal is to have final grades out by the end of next week.  If students are missing any work, I will take it until next Thursday.  In class we cleared up some questions about missing work and My GradeBook.  If parents or students have any more questions, feel free to contact me.

Links for this week:
Class Notes (with pictures & videos)

I've enjoyed this group of students.  Each one is uniquely gifted for the plans that God has for him/her.  Feel free to keep in touch.
Blessings, 
Mrs. Prichard

No comments:

Post a Comment