Thursday, December 7, 2017

Writing 2 Class Notes -- Week 14 (December 7)

Greetings!

We had a great class today.  Well, at least I thought so.  I gave the students a test today, so they might not have thought so.

Before our test, we had our usual Quick Write.  The prompts for the day were related to December 7:
1941 -- The bombing of Pearl Harbor  (write about Hawaii, World War 2, etc.) 
1963 -- The first instant replay done for a televised for the Army-Navy game (write about favorite sport that you like to watch)
1969 -- Frosty the Snow Man is first televised (favorite Christmas movie)


Before the test, I went over the rough drafts of their Comparison/Contrast Essays.  I always take time after the rough drafts have been handed in to discuss common errors related to grammar and writing.  Today's topics included Introductions/conclusions/thesis statements, formatting, writing names, comma splice sentences, avoiding the word "things," and commas with compound sentences.

We then took our  Words of the Day Test.  The test was fairly easy with matching, multiple choice, true/false, and fill in the blank.  At the end of the class, we went over the answers, and I'm hoping they did well.  (Some of my PSEO students who had been in Writing 2 last year commented on the fact that they don't remember any of the words, but that they had fun learning them.)


Next on the agenda were the final projects for our book, My Antonia.  We had a Jeopardy game, a mock newspaper from the time, and an original song sung by a duet.  I think the class has mixed feelings about the book projects.  For my part, I was really pleased by the class's work and creativity.  Well done!!

In the first semester, I like to give my tests on the week before the last week of class so that we can have a party on the last day of class.  Students should bring the Christmas poems that we didn't get to this week.  I have plans for them!  We'll also play some Christmas & word-related games.  Students are welcome to bring snacks to share with the class.

Since next week is the last week of the semester, all homework needs to be handed in on that day.

Assignments for Next Week:
-- Final Draft of Comparison/Contrast Essay
-- Hand in any late/missing homework
-- Be ready for a Christmas Party!

Links for this week
Class Notes

Have a great weekend!
Mrs. Prichard

No comments:

Post a Comment