Saturday, November 2, 2013

Writing 2 Class Notes -- Week 10 (October 31)

Greetings!

We had a good class again this week.  When I first started teaching at CHAT, I wondered how I was going to fill a 90 minute class. Now, I think I could go all day with each class.  They are a great group of students!

For our Quick Write, I gave them a topic that I picked up from the joking around of some of the students.  So, I asked them to write about their personal political persuasions and opinions.  It was quite interesting to hear the variety of opinions that these students have.  

The Words of the Day:
maelstrom: fr. Dutch; a violent whirlpool or a turbulent situation
madeleine: fr. French; a small shell-shaped cake or pastry made of flour, eggs, sugar
magna cum laude:  fr. Latin; with great praise
summa cum laude:  fr. Latin; with highest praise

We're just about done with the book, My Antonia.  The students have prepared presentations about the characters, themes, and setting.  We heard from some of them this week.  I combined students who had chosen the same topics.  We heard thoughts about the setting and Jim Burden, the narrator of the story.  Next week, we'll hear the rest in addition to taking a final exam.

I handed back their Rough Drafts of the Classification or Extended Definition Essays.  As is my custom, I like to go over grammar errors and mistakes common to their papers.  In my opinion, that's one of the best ways to learn grammar.  We discussed commas, contractions, parallel construction, "there is/are, etc.." using the word "things," and use of prepositions.  

They are to work on the Final Drafts of their essays and have them ready next week.  Along with their papers, they should list 5 corrections that they've made.

Following our book, we will be reading some other prairie-style literature.  For next week, they are to read the handout with an excerpt from John Steinbeck's Grapes of Wrath.  Pay special attention to the landscape descriptions.

Assignments for Next Week:
-- Finish Final Draft of Extended Definitions or Classifications Essay
     -- Include 5 Corrections.
-- Read the Grapes of Wrath excerpt.


This Week's Blogs
Class Notes


Enjoy your weekend.  It's supposed to be beautiful!
Mrs. Prichard

No comments:

Post a Comment