Friday, April 12, 2013

4 Uses for the Semicolon


People who use the semicolon correctly may appear to be more skilled and mature than their counterparts.  The well-placed semicolon says, "I know what I'm doing."












4 Uses for the Semicolon

1.  Use the semicolon to join independent/main clauses.  Individual sentences (independent clauses) can be joined in two ways.  Firstly, you can use a coordinating conjunction (FANBOYS) and a comma. (Ex.  I like to read, and she likes to write.)  Another method of joining two sentences is with a semicolon.  (Ex.  I like to read; she likes to write.  Sentences joined with semicolons should be closely related, and the writer wants to combine the two complete thoughts into one.
     Note:  In class, I have compared joining two sentences into one using the semicolon with a Reeces's peanut butter cup.  You have two distinct flavors that combine in one mouthful of delicious goodness.

2.  Use the semicolon to join independent clauses when you want to use transitional elements like furthermore, however, moreover, etc.  Transition words are not required to use the semicolon (see #1.)  Using semicolons with transition words helps you to move smoothly between ideas.  You can use conjunctive adverbs (ex. also, anyway, besides, finally, however, nevertheless, therefore, consequently, etc.) or transition phrases (ex.  as a result, for example, in fact, in other words, in summary, on the other hand, etc.)
     Ex.  Elizabeth was sick; otherwise, she would have been in class.

3.  Semicolons are used when linking lists after a colon when the items in the list are phrases or have internal punctuation.
     Ex.  I had a great breakfast:  eggs with spinach, onions, and peppers; hickory-cured bacon; pancakes with blueberries from Maine; Belgian waffles, my mother's signature recipe;  and quick-cooked grits made with garlic and cheddar cheese.

4.  Semicolons join a short series of sentences.
     Ex.  I came; I saw; I conquered.
            One flew east; one rode west; one hid in the barn.

PS.  I love it when writing and math collide!


No comments:

Post a Comment