Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Writing 2 Class Notes -- October 4

Greetings!

Yesterday's class went well.  We were productive, creative, and thoughtful.  Our Quick Write was to write about the life of a dollar bill in the first person.  I have a Daily Sparks book that gives short writing assignments.  One of the students picked this exercise from the book.  A lot of writing teachers feel it's helpful to get the bad writing out of the system.  Hopefully we did some of that yesterday.  I chose 4 words from the SAT Prep book for our Mystery Words. I don't necessarily believe the students will remember all of the words that we discuss, but they'll have an appreciation for new words and for word roots.

I handed back the rough drafts of the process essays.  We spent a good part of the class time going over common grammar problems found in the papers.  I'll list and discuss some of these on the blog.

I had sent around an e-mail hinting that that I might give a "pop quiz" for our reading of Gulliver's Travels.  The students have done a good job keeping up to date with their reading, but I wanted to check for their comprehension.  It was such a beautiful day that we took our books and the quiz outside.  We answered the questions as a group, and I included more discussion in between the students' answers.

Next week's Assignments:
--  Read Part III, Ch. 1 - 4.  (Read the discussion questions before reading the chapters, student's are not required to write out any answers.)
--  Final copy of Process Essay

Enjoy this beautiful weather!
Mrs. Prichard

No comments:

Post a Comment